Researcher in Social Sciences – Digital Workforce
Deadline for applications is September 30, 2017
The CIHR is a vibrant hub for academic research about technology and society at the European University Viadrina in Frankfurt (Oder). Our goal is to inform current public and academic debates by producing high-quality research grounded in theory and empirical data.
We are looking to hire a social scientist from November 2017 to April 2019 for a project in the area of digital workforce. The link to the official vacancy will be available in September under a link here: link.
However, you can apply already by sending your CV to ue.rhicnull@eciffo. Please, also provide a name, email and phone number of at least one reference person.
About the project
One of the focus areas of the CIHR is the impact on the change to norms and values of the digital workforce – people working in different branches of digital economy. In the project “Algorithms as the Boss? Platformization and Decent Work”, we will investigate specifically the legal, technical and social aspects of work in the platform economy. Automated digital platforms, such as Amazon, Uber or Clickworker manage the interaction of workers through algorithms. This means that algorithms may partly act like a “boss”, who exercises control over a large number of decentralized workers. How is algorithmic management constituted? How does it affect the interaction of platform and workers, in particular, the relationship autonomy and control? The project is supported by Hans-Böckler-Stiftung and will run from November 2017 until April 2019.
The main tasks of this job include:
- Conducting fieldwork and interviews with workers and managers in the platform economy;
- Cooperating in implementation of the project with researchers in law and technology from European University Viadrina and Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien
- Assistance with project management, including project documentation, events and communication;
- Cooperation in drafting academic publications.
- You have experience in using qualitative social science methods – conducting field work and interviews;
- You have a MA degree in sociology, anthropology, cultural studies or other social science discipline;
- You have experience in managing projects in academia or other field and leadership skills;
- You are currently enrolled at a university as a PhD candidate or you are willing to enroll at a PhD at European University Viadrina
- You have excellent writing skills in English and good knowledge of German;
- You have an interest in interdisciplinary work on digital workforce.
What we offer:
Position of Akademische Mitarbeiter(in) for 26h/week
- Salary of 65% of the 13 TV-L according to Brandenburg regulations;
- Workplace at an international university in Frankfurt (Oder), fieldwork will take place in Berlin;
- Collaboration with an international team of researchers and partners at the CIHR;
- In case of pursuing a PhD at Viadrina, access to the educational and professional offer of the Viadrina Center for Graduate Studies;
- Professional development opportunities with support of senior academic staff.
In case of any questions about the position, please email at ue.rhicnull@eciffo